Early contracts carried out by ASL in South Wales and Scotland
Ayr Harbour (Wet Dock 1873, Slip Dock 1883)
Aberavon Esplanade & Locks on Neath Canal c.
Partick Thistle ‘Firhill’ Stadium
Due to industrial expansion, Partick Thistle FC were forced to vacate their ground in Meadowside, Andrew Scott Ltd undertook the construction of Firhill Stadium between 1908 & 1909, where Partick Thistle still play their home fixtures.
Port Talbot Steel Works
Andrew Scott Ltd has worked continuously in Abbey Works later renamed Port Talbot Works since it was built in 1947.
Cardiff Arms Park
Work comprised the building of the new North Stand, which has since been integrated into the world-famous Principality Stadium. The heavy reinforced concrete foundations were built in difficult conditions, the massive structure was of reinforced concrete with a plastic-coated steel clad cantilevered roof.
Aberavon RFC Stand
Former Swansea Telephone Exchange, now BT Tower
The contract for a new automatic telephone exchange in Swansea saw Andrew Scott Ltd undertake the construction of the twelve-storey building measuring 280’ x 200’, with a basement of some 18’ in depth which was founded on insitu concrete piles at a depth of 50’ to 60’ below ground level. A striking feature of the building is the vertical fluted finish formed on the outside of the concrete towers, which was achieved by the use of fibreglass shuttering.
Basic Oxygen Steel Plant, British Steel Corporation
The first basic oxygen steel making plant was constructed for the British Steel Corporation at Margam, Port Talbot in 1965.
Aberavon Town Centre
Commencing in 1973, Andrew Scott Ltd undertook the contracts to redevelop Port Talbot Town Centre to reflect the area’s importance as a centre of industry and commerce. The development entirely transformed the town centre, providing state of the art facilities and convenience shopping for the area.
Cefn Mably Reservoir
This contract involved stripping the natural vegetation off an area of fields and excavating in order to build a 6 million gallon reservoir. It was built on reinforced concrete foundations with mass concrete walls 26’ high and 11’ thick at the base tapering to a 2’ thickness at the top. The roof of the reservoir was a reinforced concrete slab supported on mushroom head columns. Finally, the natural vegetation was replaced over the structure, concealing the reservoir underground.
Blast Furnace 5
We undertook the civil engineering works for the project at the steel works site in Port Talbot which comprised some 6,000 tonnes of steel and 140,000-man hours. Our additional works included repairs to three hot blast stoves, inhaul conveyor systems and high-level bunkers. A new gas plant, fume extraction plant and closed-circuit water-cooling system were also installed. The furnace was completely rebuilt and operational in a record time of 9 months.